Monday, July 6, 2009

Invitation Only


As an intern, being included in a meeting is like attending an exclusive red carpet event. You are usually not on the invite list and if you actually do get through the doors it is just to handout drinks. Unfortunately, there is no leftover bottle of Vodka in the office to sneak sips from after you have been “excused.”

Last week, against all odds, I made the list. With a huge grin, that I tried to downplay, I accepted the invitation. Wow. Not only was I invited to a meeting, but I was invited to a meeting OUTSIDE of the office. What a day!

The invitation also included free admission into the San Diego Museum of Art. Not a bad location to get the creative juices flowing for an internal meeting. The topic: How to show the community that SDMA is everyone’s museum, that the art is their art and that it is home to some of the best art.

Those of us at Bailey Gardiner realize the personal connections that can be made with the art housed at SDMA, just like others who enjoy the Museum. Now we BG must find ways to attract novice museum visitors and maintain those who have made the initial connection at SDMA.

I found my connection at the Richard Avedon: Portraits of Power exhibit. Looking into the faces of those who have influenced America and the world over the past 50 years gave me Goosebumps. Avedon’s ability to expose human emotion through photography is captivating and thought provoking. I don’t think visitors to the exhibit could leave without wondering what their own Avedon portrait would expose.

Making my own connection with the art at SDMA has left me excited for others to form theirs. Bailey Gardiner introduced me to My Museum, My Art. Now, let us introduce you to Your Museum, Your Art.

Your invitation is waiting at the San Diego Museum of Art.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    I am so glad that you were (and still are) so excited to be part of the team. It is nice to be reminded, by someone fresh on the ad scene, of what cool jobs we really do have. Thanks for putting it in perspective for us old folks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,

    I AM excited to be a part of the team! I love to see how ideas come to life. Thanks for letting me tag along!

    Opps! I posted under the wrong account...

    -Ad Intern 1

    ReplyDelete