Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Heart Clif Bar


One of the beauties of interning at a creative advertising agency (no, that’s not a type-o, I did just use the words “beauties” and “interning” in the same sentence) is not only gaining insight into agency logistics (“out to lunch”, “away from the desk”, and “in a meeting”, are proper phone etiquette for, “I really don’t want to talk to you right now”), but also learning about the companies BG works for, and the ones they would LOVE to work for--Clif Bar is one such company.

My first experience with Clif Bar was during early adolescence. I loved eating Luna Bars, but a warning from a friend abruptly halted my consumption--one bite, I was told, and I’d be dancing naked in the moonlight just like the picture on the wrapper. Now, as a student at the University of Colorado, Boulder (aka mountain man/woman capital of the world) I see lovers of Clif everywhere, and have revived my affection for them. (I’ve also since witnessed that naked moonlight dancing is only fueled by the bar, while a serious lapse in judgment concerning alcohol consumption is the actual cause). I find Clif Bars absolutely delicious, but even more satiating is the man and company behind them.

Imagine being on a 175 mile bike ride (no, those of you who consider pushing the button on the coffee machine your workout, you are not exempt from this fantasy), and even worse than the burning sensation in your legs, is the fifth God awful energy bar you’ve barely managed to choke down. It was the pain of eating distasteful energy bars on an epic bike ride that inspired Gary Erickson’s entrepreneurial genius--invent a product that athletes actually enjoy eating, not something that looks and taste like Grandma’s surprise meatloaf. Within a few years Clif Bar was born! The energy bars were such a success that in 2000 Quaker Oats offered to buy the company. BUT, unlike the competition, Erickson listened to his conscience and turned down the deal, unwilling to let go of the intimacy his private company shared with its consumers.  

By identifying the importance of close costumer relations early on, Erickson was able, and continues to, grow his company into much more than a nutrition bar manufacturer, but rather an innovator in healthy living. The company focuses on five aspirations: sustaining the Clif business, brands, people, community and planet. Clif Bar sponsors over 2000 athletes, both pro and amateur (a great attitude is their primary criteria). Not only do they show support through sponsorship, but they also provide encouragement through their “Pace Team”--a group of skilled runners who run side-by-side with all levels of aspiring athletes to keep their spirits boosted and legs moving during races.

Every Thursday meeting the staff shares an “Eco Minute”--information about ways to incorporate more environmental practices into their lives. Apparently these minutes are adding up because Clif Bar’s list of ecological innovations is endless. They fill their trucks with biodiesel, have boxes made from 100% recycled materials, are launching programs like the Wrapper Brigade--a call to reduce the number of energy bar wrappers ending up as landfill--and partnering with numerous organizations also committed to maintaining a healthy planet. In addition to these achievements, Clif Bar works with bands to make their tours greener (such a cool idea!), and involves their followers through programs like the 2 Mile Challenge (a personal favorite). It often goes unnoticed that almost half our traveling happens within 2 miles of our homes, and most of us take the LONG trek by car (myself included). Thus Clif Bar has proposed this challenge: once a week, replace a trip under 2 miles with a bike to help combat climate change. I’m always down for a challenge, so I quickly map quested the distance from where I’m living to work…1.5 miles guilty as charged...and decided I’d try biking the next day. THEN I remembered that my sweet (sarcasm) 1980s road bike was still in Colorado, nursing its wound after an unfortunate back wheel bike theft incident (darn those college kids and their twisted humor). Teetering on the edge of surrender, I suddenly remembered that I have legs, and used them to walk to work the next day. It was lovely! I had a few extra minutes to make an early morning phone call to Mom (brownie points), felt wide awake by the time I got to work, and I was in good spirits because a) I didn’t have to use the pepper spray my dad made me carry and b) I helped fight climate change.

A quality I admire most about Clif Bar is the brand’s dedication to not only making delicious bars, but making them the right way, through the use of organic foods that provide nourishment to people and the planet. I love their food philosophy--if it’s made right it can make the world a better place.

What more could one company possibly do to make the world a better place? How about launching Project 2080. 2080 is the number of hours one full time employee works in a year, and it is also the amount of time the Clif team donates to volunteering every year. Wow. Selfless comes to mind.

Erickson’s philosophy of “doing good things for life” is especially reflected in the healthy environment he has created for his employees. Employees can bring their children and dogs to work and have access to concierge services. The company also has a high quality fitness center on site that offers free exercise classes, personal trainers, massage therapists and nutrition counseling! Employees are encouraged to use the facilities and are even given a half-hour of paid time to workout everyday. Not saying I don’t love the occasional lunch break adventure with Ad Intern 1 to Hillcrest 24 Hour, BUT how cool would an onsite gym be! Speaking of creating a healthy environment for your employees...is now a good time to inquire about buying some cots for nap time...

Erickson’s ownership decision, though seemingly risky, allowed Clif Bar the freedom and ability to set goals the company is passionate about, goals void of dollar signs. How refreshing. But even cooler than that, is how everyone in the company plays an integral role in accomplishing these goals. Through their achievements Clif Bar has demonstrated that greatness can be achieved no matter the size of the company. Initially my dreams had me focused solely on working at a big time ad agency, but after learning about Clif Bar, I’ve decided that rather than fixate on making it to the top of the Ad ladder, I want to find a company whose goals and interests are inline with my own. Although I’ve only been in the M-F 9:00-5:00 work world for a few months now, I’ve discovered that your job is a huge investment. Oftentimes it keeps you separated from the things you love--family, friends, or maybe even your little 12 year old blind Chiwawa named RayRay (shout out to my intern bud)--why not find a place that lets you do the things you love all day. Find out more about this cool company at www.ClifBar.com, and my other favorite company at www.baileygardiner.com.  

 


4 comments:

  1. OMG I got to try one of these Clif Bars!!! I'm so enlightened! Riveting! I can't bike here as I live in Lakeside.... oh and I don't have a bike. I was so excited to find out we could bring our dogs to work here, if I still had my chihuahua she'd be here EVERYDAY. If someone ask me to descibe my ideal job this would be it. I've been truely blessed! ~ Melina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Clif Bar insight. Have always been a fan and now am even more so. Love the shout-outs too! Ray Ray even made his way into the blog world! Check-out the "chiwawa" picture under Ad Intern 1. You won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for all of this mack! I am looking forward to sitting down with you next week to get the full scoop about Clif and then going after them. I think we were all meant to work on their brand!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I have been doing a lot of research trying to figure out how I could possibly get an internship with Clif and was wondering if you could nudge me in the right direction somehow? I realize you posted this a few years ago, but I thought I might as well give it a try! Thank you for your time and help. Emma

    ReplyDelete