Monday, July 13, 2009

East Coast versus West Coast, beyond the rap rivalry

I have been happily interning at Bailey Gardiner for the past month and a half. Originally from New Jersey, I decided to take a leap across the country a few months ago after a friend suggested that I sublet for her in San Diego while she was away. “Why not?” I thought. “I’m still young and ready to explore!”

While the agency experience has been very exciting in allowing me to work on public relations for multiple clients, I also find it thrilling to compare the west coast work environment to my home and previous east coast work experience having been in-house at a hospital.

The idea of looking at the east coast and west coast first came to me after a long car ride the other day. It dawned on me how California plays a whole lot of 2Pac! I realized I was just used to being in B.I.G. turf. Nothing like the little east versus west rap rivalry to remind me of the inherent differences that the coasts really possess.

Work dress attire is one area that I am seriously struggling with as a novice west coaster. Gone are the days of black, black and more black, pearls, pencil skirts, ironed collared shirts, plaids and pointy closed-toe heels. And welcome to the land of colorful sundresses, funky necklaces, minimal makeup, open heels and casual airy attires. Californians are incredibly unique in their clothing, picking up pieces everywhere and effortlessly fusing them, and I really admire this. However…this has also been a much needed smack down on my wardrobe, although I’m not complaining. I’m simply embracing the challenge of dressing creatively and not limiting myself to the basics that the east tends to stay true to.

Another observation includes my own need for speed. As a born and raised New Jersey girl, I am used to talking very fast and trying to cram as much as possible into my days. I have been brought up as being always on the go and working, working, working. This has been a big contrast to the relaxed and laid back approach of Californians. While I am absolutely certain this environment is better for my health (I don’t drink nearly as much coffee as I used to and feel off now without yoga) it has taken me a little getting used to to actually ssssssllllloooowwww down and smell the roses. I have noticed that I’m much nicer though when I can really enjoy that single cup of coffee and can talk for a few minutes to a friendly co-worker. And that urge to lay on the horn when the inevitable man in the huge Ford truck cuts off my itty bitty Civic? No worries, really nipped that in the butt too.

Overall though, since employees at the agency range from both coasts, the environment hits the perfect chord. Everyone can learn something if they’re willing, which makes this experience a great and worthwhile one just as it is. The saying “Unity lies in diversity” comes to mind and I couldn’t agree more.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post. It gives us some insite as to who you are. And the creative dressing thing (AKA Kevinie)... I wish I could dress like that too! It's ok we can work on it together!
    ~Melina

    ReplyDelete
  2. as a recent east coast transplant, I can totally relate to the drastic change!!

    ReplyDelete