Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I am not a morning person

Morning people baffle me. I've come to accept that I am now... an adult, but the concept of leaping out of bed in the morning and welcoming the day, eludes me. I have dealt with the "finding a place to live" thing, the "grocery shopping" thing and even the "paying the bills" thing, yet I can not seem to figure out how to not press the snooze button less than 3 times every morning.
Through out my college days and even now, I pay my way by waitressing. It is perfect for me. My earliest shift is at 11am, and even then I complain about having "to open tomorrow." Consequently, due to this chosen profession, all my friends are servers too. They are enablers for my staying-up-too-late habit. The only time to hang out is after a shift, and because of that, to this day, going out before 10:30pm seems way too early and strange.
As far as classes went during college, I always managed to schedule them starting at 11am and ending at 3:30pm, and only Monday - Friday of course. But once in awhile I could not avoid that one class that was "required to graduate" that always seemed to land at 8am. I took Speech, Psychology and Health & Fitness, all at 8am. That's right... my college required gym class to graduate. It was torture back then, but really all I had to do was climb out of bed, stumble across the quad without fully opening my eyes. This was all perfectly acceptable at 8am on campus. But now as I get a handle on this morning thing, I have realized, not only do I have to open my eyes fully and get dressed, my brain has to work as well. So what has growing up taught me lately? I love coffee. Can't get enough. And that little personal coffee cup brewer thing we have in the kitchen... is totally awesome.

2 comments:

  1. You had class every single day during the week in college? Bummer, my last two years I only had Mondays and Wednesdays all day. I was never a morning person until college. In high school I could never get up and if I didn't have soccer on the weekend I would get up at 11 or 12. Some how though, once I got to college I started waking up at 7 or 8 automatically every day of the week (even on weekends!). I guess we all hit that "growing up morning person stage" at different times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pr intern 1:
    I have no idea who you are yet. Maybe a profile and picture would help? Enjoyed the post!
    As you get older (I have a lot of those years under my belt) you start getting up early to catch the early edition news or to walk the dogs. I know, weird but true.

    ReplyDelete