Friday, November 16, 2012

It's been great :)


When I first started studying advertising, I joined the San Diego Ad Club and began looking into ad agencies in the area. I was immediately attracted to Bailey Gardiner and the work that they did. One of my goals as a beginning creative professional was to eventually get an internship at Bailey Gardiner. After a few years in school, countless hours working on my portfolio, and a few internships . . . I finally felt ready to take a shot at getting that internship at what is now known as i.d.e.a.

To make a long story short, I was ecstatic to be joining the i.d.e.a. intern team and to have the opportunity to work with the most talented and fun group of creative individuals in town! The i.d.e.a. team is by far the most exciting group that I’ve ever worked with!

During the short (but super sweet) time I’ve spent as an intern at i.d.e.a., I have learned many things. Here are a few of what I perceive to be the most important lessons I’ve learned:
1.     Always have fun! – the i.d.e.a. team always has a good time with everything they do. It’s a very exciting environment, and that is really inspiring to interns that are hoping to someday work in the ad world.
2.     Don’t be afraid to ask questions. – I’ve found that everyone in the office is always willing to answer questions and offer advice. This type of support is invaluable to young professionals, like myself.
3.     There’s no such thing as too much coffee. – Hence the Keurigs and      7-11 across the street. Perhaps you ate too much at lunch or didn’t get enough sleep last night . . . either way, coffee is the answer!
4.     Melina has the best seat in the office (the candy holding seat) – The best part about filling in for Melina during her lunch or at the end of the day is eating the candy! I will surely miss the endless supply of York Peppermint Patties and Reeses.
5.     i.d.e.a. doesn’t mess around when it comes to special occasions – Halloween in the i.d.e.a. office was a blast! The costumes were entertaining and the Halloween spirit was contagious. There were a wide variety of costumes ranging from Gary Warewolf and Heisenberg to a creepy clown and a pig in a blanket.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at i.d.e.a. and I’m sad for it to already be over. However, I am thankful for the people that I’ve met and the things that I’ve learned in the process. I couldn’t have asked for a better internship experience, and I’d like to thank everyone at i.d.e.a. for making my goal of working with them a reality. I am going to miss everyone, especially my fellow interns in the corral. Best of luck to everyone!

- Kirby Darland (cintern1)

No comments:

Post a Comment