Thursday, November 15, 2012

Interactive Advertising Right Thur!


Well hello there! Being that I am the new ad intern 2 I know I have some shoes to fill. While reading some of the posts from previous interns, I gained some inspiration on “how to blog”, as well as some insightful things about this awesome agency called i.d.e.a.

From Classroom…

My previous quarter at the Art Institute, I was enrolled in a class called “Interactive Advertising”.  The class consisted of learning new and emerging technology as well as creating a case study for a client we got to choose that integrated some kind of interactive tech. I chose AVIS, and created a case study/ campaign with my fellow classmate  (i.d.e.a intern too!) Kirby. The problem I chose was simply parking. We created a campaign that included layer technology and an app that allowed AVIS customers to reserve their parking space through our mobile application. Any who, the class really got us to learn about all the fast moving technology that was emerging in this industry we call Advertising.  One of the things I noticed was that I was hearing about all these cool gadgets, but wasn’t really getting the chance to see them in real life action.

…To Real life

About a week or so ago, I was on my way to my hometown of Hawaii. A nice 10 - day getaway to lie on a beach, drink and eat all that Hawaii has to offer (Note to self, never weigh yourself while on vacation). On my travels there I had a layover at LAX. As I strolled and people watched through the hectic airport halls, I came across this lady touching a billboard that seemed to be interactive. Right away I whipped out my iPhone and started to discreetly video tape her playing with this billboard. After about a minute of trying not to look like a complete creepo, I waited till she was done, so I could play and be the one being recorded. The billboard was a matching game of traveling icons with a time you had to beat. As you can see in the picture below I was clearly horrible at this game.


The company behind this awesome technology is called Monster Media. They are an international full-service media company specializing in digital-out-of-home advertising. Basically these are the guys who create those crazy kiosks, storefronts, and anything that is probably catching your attention on a wall. One of their campaigns that I really enjoyed was for Cheerios. They created a vending station that was placed in the mall for kids and whoever to play a pairing game with their phrases. Participants were then given a box of cheerios that was dispensed from the machine and got to take a fun picture at the end. I found this to be really engaging with their target and remind them of why we love the brand Cheerios.

All in all, seeing this interactive billboard and actually getting to play with it really reminded me of why I love this industry and the excitement I have going in to it.

Cheers!
Keana - Adintern 2

No comments:

Post a Comment