Friday, March 11, 2011

Professional Association Involvement: A PR Must!

As a Bailey Gardiner PR intern and the president of San Diego State's Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) chapter, I am a huge advocate for professional associations and the benefits that come with participation.

The public relations world is small and the quickest way to jump in and familiarize yourself with the community is to join PRSA (if you're a professional) or PRSSA (if you're a student).

PRSSA is the largest organization for students interested in public relations. There are over 300 chapters and 10,000 members in the United States. If your college or university doesn't have a chapter, PRSSA National offers an affiliate program that connects you with the closest PRSA chapter and professionals. PRSSA supports the advancement of the public relations field and the professional development of future practitioners. Every year they hold a national conference, national assembly and regional activities.

Another option is to join the Public Relations Society of America San Diego Imperial Counties. PRSA SDIC holds networking events, socials and workshops for local professionals. There is even a NewPros committee to help introduce us newbies into the professional world.

Personally, I've seen my professional association involvement pay off tenfold. I've met some of my best friends, grown as a professional, expanded my network and learned a lot about public relations. But most importantly, I've built relationships and isn't that what PR is all about? Not to mention I've done a bit of traveling with PRSSA, which wasn't too bad... :)

I encourage fellow interns and students out there to get involved and see what kind of benefits they reap. Hopefully I'll see you at a few events coming up in the near future.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, let me know!

Best,
Robin


No comments:

Post a Comment