Friday, February 18, 2011

Can you spell i.n.t.e.r.n.?


Blogger-me-Blogger
In the last month I have made my debut as a bg intern, candy-cart salesmen, intern blogger and a model (twice!). Okay, okay, those of you who have met me, you know I am not the model-type. Nor will I be going into that profession, but it was fun while it lasted. I am much more interested in the behind the scenes aspects of advertising. Learning about account services, account management, and placement of advertisements is what really excites me. Not so much staring in them. For those of you who don't know me yet, "Hello!" My name is Sadie and I will be blogging away for the next few months as Ad Intern 1. My new partners in crime, the PR interns will be posting also. [see our profiles below]
Next Top Model
My modeling premier took place at Seaport Village during a Bailey Gardiner photo shoot. Seaport Village is a beautiful location and one of the bg's clients I will be working with. Participating in the photo shoot was exciting. I love all things photography and the outdoors - it is not everyday an intern gets to spend their morning on the clock under the San Diego sun and in the salty sea air. My second modeling shoot was for the San Diego Council
 on Literacy's spelling "BEE" benefit event next Thursday, February 24th. Although it is only a shot from behind, I am modeling the agency-designed event t-shirt, so it definitely counts as shoot number two. 
At this rate, by the time May and my graduation rolls around I'll have a stunning resume and modeling portfolio.
Candy-Cart Sales(wo)men
Never underestimate the power of snacks at 4 o'clock on the Friday afternoon. You can learn a lot about people while pulling a child-sized wheelbarrow of snacks around the office. Did I mention it has cowbells? Interpersonal skills and office relationships are formed over the candy-cart. I now know everyone in the office on Fridays, where they sit, and I am beginning to know their snack preferences; salty, sweet, drink or a healthy alternative.
Down to Business
Listed above are some of the perks of interning here at Bailey Gardiner, not to mention the amazing tea/coffee/hot coco machine in the kitchen area and the occasional free goodies left on the table. The real work is much more plentiful and sadly doesn't involve the cowbell. However, my daily tasks are interesting. Every morning I learn who in the USA has taken an interest in Aladdin Bail Bonds, while updating excel files. Some of the relationship descriptions are humorous, for example "mother of his son," which takes away all personal ownership. Contact information can also make for a laugh. For example, one guy last week wrote only the 3-digit area code "818" as his contact. People like this really brighten my morning. I also work on online marketing research and analysis using Google AdWords and Google Analytics. I am getting to be a pro at scanning and filing invoices and starting to get a handle on Workamajig. 
Stay tuned for more on my improvements, specialties and ad talents in future articles.

~Sadie

No comments:

Post a Comment