Thursday, August 19, 2010

Things I am liking right now...

I had so much fun making a numbered list in my last post that I am going to do another one... Today it's going to be a short list of things I really like that have caught my attention recently:

1. I like that today is the first day of my extended internship and my volunteer days are over. I like that very very much. Thanks BG for keeping me around.

2. The Last Exorcism on ChatRoulette:
I have never used ChatRoulette but I am definitely aware of the site (mostly because of the reputation it has built as a constant parade of genitalia). Lionsgate's new movie The Last Exorcism is coming out soon and they've been doing some interesting things with promoting it but this one is definitely my favorite-- they have a pretty girl on ChatRoulette who looks like she's about to start unbuttoning her shirt for the skeezy guys she's connected with. There's two different videos- in one her eyes roll into the back of her head and she attacks the camera, and in the other her neck completely snaps sideways. Both are incredibly creepy and then TheLastExorcism.com flashes on the ChatRoulette screen. They have posted the reactions of the guys on the other side of the chat and they are absolutely hilarious.
There are a lot of companies using these kinds of sites in inefficient or boring ways (Fancy Feast was one of the first) and it's so great to see a cool idea that gets great reactions and publicity. I'm sure this means that other companies will start creative stunts on ChatRoulette that will soon get old, but props to Lionsgate for having one of the first really cool ones.

3. Piperlime's new "Let's Get Dressed" Campaign:
Recently, GAP-brand Piperlime has come under fire for it's "Let's get dressed" campaign that focuses on motivating people (particularly women) to get dressed nicely when they go out in public. Their print campaign has taglines like "Say no to sweat pants," "Hang up the hoodies," and "Step away from the sneakers" while their Facebook page offers advice like "Let's put Saturday-night effort into Sunday afternoon." Some followers of their Facebook page got all offended by the "snotty" and "bitchy-girl status posts" and removed the site from their favorites.
I love this idea and I don't think it's catty or rude at all- let's just all agree to not go to the store in our pajamas or our unflattering workout clothes. I'm all for comfortable and casual but I do not need to stand behind a girl in line wearing spandex pants with a cut-off shirt cut so much i can see 85% of her sports bra. Some things just don't belong out in the world for others to see. As someone trying to make the transition from college campus to working world, I like having a little reminder that how you present yourself is important whenever you're out and about.

4. I recently stumbled across PhotoshopDisasters.com, which I'm sure is not new to a lot of people but I just recently discovered the joys it has to offer. As a self-taught Photoshopper, I really like seeing common mistakes to learn from and also just to laugh at. They have everything from awkward body angles to missing limbs and everything in between... it's incredible to see how easy it is for professionals to mess up photo-editing and it makes me have even more respect for the flawless work that comes from BG's creative team.

No comments:

Post a Comment