Thursday, August 12, 2010

Levi's aren't just for dads anymore?


Levi's has never been on the top of my list of "cute jeans I would like to wear" because I've always considered them to be pants for dads. In fact, I have always thought of Levi's as a jean brand for older men and women who wear their pants too high. I know they advertise their jeans as sexy and cool but I have never considered them to be either of those things. 

But I've recently taken notice in Levi's because of their Go Forth campaign commercials-- they're artsy and funky and seem like an attempt to catch the attention of the young-adult hipster crowd. Not that they necessarily appeal to me, but I acknowledge the effort they're putting in to connect with a younger and cooler audience. This was the jump-start to my reconsideration of the Levi's Brand.

Levi's has just launched a new women's line of jeans called Curve ID- and I must say I have found a new appreciation and am beginning to form a new opinion on Levi's as a brand. The Curve ID line uses the tagline "All asses were not created equal" and has three different fits of jeans for three different body types- Slight Curve, Demi Curve, and Bold Curve:

I like this idea as is- I always love clothing brands that recognize the real shapes of women and make clothes that celebrate that- but this Levi's line is especially awesome because of the amount of research that went into creating this line. Levi's (with their agency Wieden+Kennedy) did 60,000 body scans of women and conducted a global survey that they used when creating the three fits for three different body types (that make up 80 percent of women's shapes). The results of the survey are also very interesting to me because I consider myself one of the many girls that dedicates an entire weekend to finding one pair of comfortable jeans:
  • 54% of women try on at least 10 pairs of jeans to find one pair they would buy
  • 87% of women wish they could find jeans that fit better than ones in their closets
  • 67% of women believe that jeans are designed for women with "ideal" figures
  • Only 28% of women believe that jeans are designed to fit their body types

Not only is Levi's doing a cool thing for society by acknowledging the diverse body shapes of women, but it's a really smart way to interest women in Levi's. I don't know many females my age who would say Levi's is their favorite jean brand, but combining a cool campaign with jeans that look good and actually fit could be the recipe for success with younger women. I'm impressed to the point that I would consider trying a pair on and even if I didn't buy them, at least Levi's has done a good job of changing my perceptions about their brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment