Sunday, January 24, 2010

Experience is a product
of everything you do



A young designer will face fierce competition while attempting to break into the industry. This is doubly so in San Diego, where only a limited number of advertising agencies and design studios exist. A sluggish economy further limits the opportunities available to a fledgling designer. Having freelanced for design studios and ad agencies since my 2008 graduation, I've experienced first-hand how exhausting it can be to find your niche in a highly competitive industry.

When I was offered an internship position at Bailey Gardiner in November of last year, I couldn't wait to start. Though I've worked in fairly broad range of studio environments, the experience I've gained over the past two and a half months at BG has been invaluable. In addition to collaborating with a diverse group of creative professionals, I have also been given the opportunity to produce work for a variety of clients. My mentors at BG provide effective art direction which allows me to use my design ability both efficiently and effectively. I'm also given enough room to spread my wings and maximize my creativity — a rare luxury for an intern.


The quality of art direction, the level of client interaction and the efficiency of the organization as a whole has been inspiring and the number of portfolio-level pieces I've produced is exciting. My experience at Bailey Gardiner has been fantastic and has steeled my resolve to excel in my chosen field, regardless of the obstacles I may face along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment