Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Product Placement


Ever since starting my internship at an advertising agency in San Diego, I’ve become hyper aware of advertisements. (Duh, I know.) From the paid advertisements on Google to soda machine covers at trolley stations, I notice it all. But right now, I’m especially intrigued by product placement. I always knew it existed and even noticed it a few times before in movies and TV shows. But I never paid much attention. Shows such as American Idol (Coca-Cola) and Top Chef (Gladware) have exceptional amounts of product placement. However, no amount of product placement can compete with that found in one episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Between the tear jerking introduction to the needing family and the final reveal, copious amounts of product placement take place. Companies have found a gold mine in this show. Everything including window manufacturers (Pella windows) furniture brands (Sears), kitchen appliances (Kenmore), the family’s vacation (Disneyland Resorts), giveaway vehicles (Ford) and even gifted prescriptions to those dealing with an illness (CVS Pharmacy) are all featured on the show. Weekly. Ever wondered how they get all of this “free” merchandise to help build and furnish the house? There’s your answer. To me, this seems like the easiest and most effective way to get your brand name out there. In respect to Extreme Makeover especially, these brands are seen as generous and willing to help the average American, which speaks to about every person watching the show. It’s almost impossible to watch the show and not feel slightly guilty complaining about…anything. After watching a couple that already had 4 children of their own and took in their 6 nieces and nephews (between the ages of 16-22), no questions asked, into a 3 bedroom, dilapidated house - my life doesn’t seem quite so difficult. The products and companies lucky and/or smart enough to be featured on Extreme Makeover know what they’re doing. I’ve even caught myself googling (is that considered a word, yet?) some of the things I see. Hmm…mission accomplished? In a world where TiVo and DVR are becoming so prominent, it seems as though companies have found their loophole in advertising to the general public. 

No comments:

Post a Comment