Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Advertising is... lessons learned from my first 5 days as an Intern

Coming hot out of college, with my B.S. Degree IN Advertising, I thought I knew it all.  Definitely not even close.  As a newly appointed Intern here at Bailey Gardiner, (and one of the few men in the office), I am starting to pick up on a lot of things.  

Learning is key in this position I recently acquired.  The first lesson I learned here was not to operate the printer-copier machine on my own because it's basically rocket science to figure out.  Other than learning to avoid the printer-copier, I have done copious amounts of research/excel work.  Also expanding my knowledge on our current clients as well as learning about potential clients and new markets is very beneficial.

One of the highlights was getting invited to a brainstorming session at lunch for one of our clients, Brookfield Homes.  I was very excited for a chance to display my creativity.  I felt a little nervous about sitting in, not knowing anyone and hoping that something will jump-start my brain like a shot of creative-roids from the black market creative doctor.  I mean after all, my Mom thinks I am really creative from all the paintings and projects I've done since kindergarden, but I wasn't sure that would translate into the professional world.  It was a great experience to sit through the brainstorm and hear everyone's ideas on ways to market the new Rockrose development.   

Next thing I am slowly picking up on is that Social Media isn't just about how many friends I have on facebook, or the banner ads consisting of "Meet hot girls in your area".  Nor is about how sweet myspace is for listening to new bands or twitter updates about going to the beach or eating a bag of Cheetos.  Social Media is about connecting brands to the users.  I am still not exactly sure what people use twitter for, but I am confident that will be one of the concepts I learn here at Bailey Gardiner.

I feel like being one of the few men in the office comes into play with my point of view and also me being the Baritone in the Bailey Gardiner Christmas Choir (Coming soon). Which for me was another highlight here at BG Creative.

All in all being here has been a great experience and I look forward to continuing my education from some of the best in the business.  I feel like there is a strong correlation between the contents of my first ever blog post and the advertising industry.  A little random, complex (printer-copier), and constantly changing.  Just like my time spent here.  From brainstorms and social media, to researching "Pet energy bars", and also Bailey Gardiner benefitting from my exceptional vocal chords, it has been a great 5 days and I am excited for what the future brings.    

  





  

No comments:

Post a Comment