Thursday, August 6, 2009

In the land of the interns, free stuff rules!

It's been awhile since I've been in college, and I've noticed that since starting another internship, I've been reduced back to my penny-pinching habits from my college days. Everyone knows that to get your foot in the door, to get that oh-so-important experience on your resume, you need to endure the unpaid internship. Part of the internship experience that you gain is loyalty to the company you work for diligently for day after day and you show that by coming in and working for free, and ... enjoying it. I can honestly say that not getting paid for my work at this internship, doesn't really bother me. I don't dwell on it. BUT I have noticed that I jump at anything that is available to me at no cost.

Cupcakes in the kitchen from a client? Screw the diet, I'll take 2.

Self tanner wipes in the women's bathroom? Probably never use them, because I am a very Irish girl and would probably turn orange, but I will take one just in case.

Keurig coffee from the kitchen? I drink about 3 cups a day.

But recently I was treated along with all the other employees and interns to a day at the Del Mar Racetrack. I have lived in San Diego for 3 years now and was ashamed to say I had never been. But now, here was the perfect opportunity! So after a quick day at the office we all headed off to the track to enjoy some free food and drink, courtesy of Bailey Gardiner. We also received a personal lesson on the basics of racetrack betting from Jon Bailey, CEO of Bailey Gardiner, and $20 to bet with. Even though I was only there for a short time (had to get to my paying job) and I lost the $20 + $5 of my money, I had a great time. Food tastes better when it's free and outings are much more fun when you get hooked up. I can't wait to go again, but on my own dollar, I'm afraid it won't be as great...
So thank you Bailey Gardiner for helping me to enjoy the cheaper things in life.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Leah!! PS. Keurig is a dear friend of mine as well ;)

    ReplyDelete