Monday, September 21, 2009

Halloween Dilemma

Cute or sexy? This is a dilemma that every girl faces when trying to come up with the perfect Halloween costume. There are the tried and true options for those of us that aren’t up for showing off our assets – fairy, witch, vampire, clown, angel, devil, storybook characters…the list is endless. These all seem harmless enough, right? Wrong. Pretty much every idea you can think of also comes in a “sexy” version - with plenty of leg to spare. Even Belle from Beauty and the Beast comes complete with white thigh highs. Not exactly what I remember from my favorite childhood movie. Alice in Wonderland? Try “Miss Wonderland” with the description, “Play the cards any way you want, you sassy heartbreaker!” I don’t think White Rabbit or Cheshire Cat would approve.

I get it. People use Halloween as an excuse to wear whatever they want and not have to explain their morals. But when did it become so extreme? Celebrities definitely take advantage of this holiday. Anything from Naughty Nurse to Captivating Captain (including Louboutin heels…so not fair)

to Red Hot Flirty Firefighter is fair game. I’m reminded of a scene from Mean Girls when Lindsay Lohan dresses up as an “Ex-wife” and everyone is thrown for a loop. Definitely not what she chose for her real life costume…

And you would think guys’ costumes are free and clear. Again, wrong. A few options to choose from: Firefighter with Big Hose, Breathalyzer, and Catch of the Day Big Fish. I won’t go into descriptions for any of these, but you get the picture.

So what’s a girl to do? Being in my last year of college, I want to take advantage of my last chance to make a big deal out of Halloween. However, now that we’re in a world where social websites reign supreme, I have to keep in mind that any pictures that are taken could and probably will land on Facebook. Dun dun dun. Not so sure I want my current or future employer (let alone my mom) to see pictures of me as a Lucky Ladybug or Shipmate Cutie. My worry is that are other college students aren’t taking this precaution when picking out their Halloween costumes. I know, you have your Facebook page locked down and no one can see your pictures, right? I’m pretty sure there are ways around any of that. I know I’m not banking on that fact. I’m sure most wouldn’t take the time to override anything, but you never know. Trust me, I won’t be showing up anywhere in a floor length gown, but I will be taking these things into account when putting together my costume. Right now, my options are: Flapper Girl (I’m taking my inspiration from Lauren Conrad, which seems pretty reasonable)

or Katy Perry (I know, super conservative). But I’m pretty sure I can make either of them work without being too over the top. 

I just wish the middle ground wasn’t so hard to find. Any suggestions? 

2 comments:

  1. how come there are never any funny options for girls... guys get all the funny characters... girls have a hard time pulling them off :(

    ReplyDelete